Friday, April 3, 2009

I have been thinking about the pros and cons of natural media versus digital media. There are wonderful things about digital art, and they can mimic natural media fairly well, but there is still something lacking--at least to me. There is something so wonderful about paint. They way it flows off the paint brush, the way is gets all over you hands, the way it can be thick--three dimensional really--or thin, the way it changes as you apply it to the paper and the way it changes as it dries. Paint is real, it's tangible--I can touch it. Digital art is not. It is stuck in my computer until I print it. And even then, it never seems to have the same physical quality that I love so much about paint. I think in an ever changing world--where so many things are fleeting and where things change so fast, and which is becoming increasingly disconnected--that natural media is a necessity. It proves that things are real.

No comments:

Post a Comment