Saturday, April 4, 2009

Alone

This rather relates to my post yesterday, but people are increasingly disconnected. There is the sense among so many people, myself included at times, that one is alone in life. I think that technology only adds to this isolation, it doesn't help diffuse it. We far too often look to facebook or myspace or twitter for companionship, and never form truly deep lasting relationships with real people. This is something that seems to come out in my paintings. The world is full of people who feel alone, but we are not alone. I paint people because it makes them real--it makes me real. And they are painted in real paint, because it makes everyhthing all the more tangible.

3 comments:

  1. I concur, people are very disconnected anymore, our generation especially. I feel sick every time I see that person who's more interested in texting then they are with the company they have around them. Is surface deep or undirected communication just easier than really talking to people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way in which you write...and think for that matter. I often feel as if you are reflecting my thoughts. There is a societal disconnection because of technology. I think that the only way to break this is to be intentional with one another.

    ReplyDelete