Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I have been thinking about abstract expressionism a lot lately. There is so much freedom in this style. These men and women broke the mold, and did something new and completely different. I hope this is something that my art can do as well. They also managed to express something, and to touch me, without normal conventions or a very recognizable subject matter. This is striking. It makes the viewer think and ponder. Such pieces also have the ability to touch each viewer in a different ad unique way, as the relate to and dialogue with the piece, in their own way, based on their own experiences. This is not to say that a representational piece cannot do that--it certainly can, and many pieces do--but I think there is something fascinating about the ability of something abstract to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment